Fibre Optic Termini (Contacts)
Tech Optics offers a complete suite of fibre optic termini for all standard connectors. In addition to components Tech Optics offers termination training, tooling and complete assemblies.
Tech Optics offers high performance fibre optic termini and connector systems within a wide range of cylindrical and rectangular interconnect packaging. Tech Optics can now offer ARINC 801 compliant termini for use in both cylindrical and rectangular connectors in commercial and military applications.
- Ferrule diameter of 1.25mm
- Genderless terminus allows for use on both sides of the connectors
- Alignment sleeves are contained in a separate carrier
- Alignment sleeve carrier is removable to provide for easier end face cleaning
- Precision ceramic ferrules and sleeves ensure accurate fiber to fiber alignment
- The termini are keyed to provide for anti-rotation
- The termini can be used in multimode and single mode applications
- The termini are available with both PC and APC end face finishes
- The terminus body is crimped to the cable for a “pull proof” design
- Airframe in-flight entertainment systems
- Heads-up displays
- On-board communications
Tech Optics offers the AFSI Lumiére fibre optic terminus for commercial airframe, avionics and aerospace applications. AFSI’s Lumiére termini are a direct replacement for ELIO® termini and are compatible with existing ELIO® connectors. This fibre optic contact utilizes a 2.5mm diameter field-proven ceramic ST type ferrule, which can be inserted into a size 16 cavity.
The terminus is hermaphroditic allowing the use of the same contact in the receptacle or plug. In addition, the contact is available in both multimode and single mode versions. An anti-rotation feature allows PC, UPC and APC polishes. Because the Lumiére features a standard ST type ferrule, well known procedures and readily available tools can be used for termination. Long and short boot versions are available to support multiple connector types.
Amphenol also manufactures a full line of EN-4531 and EN-4165 rectangular and cylindrical connectors to house the Lumiére termini.Features
- Hermaphroditic style allows one contact type
- Standard 2.5mm ST type ferrule interface allows the use of standard termination procedures and readily available tools
- Simple access to optical termini facilitates cleaning
- Options available for single mode and multimode fiber
- Pull proof option allows the use of the terminus in a connector without a backshell
- Supports both tight or loose structured cable
- In-flight entertainment systems
- Heads-up displays
Tech Optics offer high quality M29504/4 & /5 style fibre optic termini providing superior optical and mechanical performance. Designed to fit into MIL-DTL-38999 Series III, pin size 16 connectors, this low cost, high precision termini family is ideal for harsh environment fibre optic interconnections. Available for single mode and multimode applications.
For example the AFSI M29K1000 and M29L1000 series termini are qualified to MIL-STD-29504/4 & /5 Rev. D. and utilize the highest quality zirconia ceramic ferrules and split alignment sleeves available. AFSI’s tight-tolerance ferrules are optimized for low insertion loss, low back reflection and exceptional durability. All ferrules are capable of standard and ultra polished end faces for those tight optical budget applications. In addition, epoxy removal and polishing times are minimized by the ferrule’s pre-domed design feature.
The socket zirconia split alignment sleeve design ensures accurate physical contact, fibre-to-fibre alignment and guarantees the highest performing connector of its kind for use in a variety of demanding environmental conditions.
M29504 fibre optic termination system offers precise, superior and reliable connections over repeated connector mating cycles and through a wide range of harsh environmental conditions.
- Precision fiber optic ceramic ferrules
- Pre-radius ferrule design
- Precision “press fit” stainless steel design
- Accurate ferrule/split sleeve alignment system
- Size 16 design (MIL-DTL-38999 compatible)
- Low insertion loss and back reflection
- AFSI termini qualified to MIL-STD-29504/4 & /5 Rev. D.
- Solid reliable connectivity through a wide range of harsh environmental conditions
- Compatible with all qualified MIL-DTL-38999, Series III connectors
- Fast termination and polish time
- Reliable, repeatable and durable connections
Description Measurement/Detail Back Reflection Better than -40 dB – PC polish, better than -50 dB – enhanced PC polish Insertion Loss 0.45 typical (measured with 62.5/125mm fibre @1310nm) Operating Temperature -65°C to +150°C Temperature Life +150°C for 1000 hours Vibration 40 G random Mechanical Shock 500 G Mating Durability 500 cycles Salt Spray 500 hours Cable Retention Force 25 lb (dependent on cable construction)
M29504/14 & /15 termini from Amphenol Fiber Systems International (AFSI) are qualified to MIL-PRF-29504B specifications. This series of fibre optic termini provide superior optical and mechanical performance and are compatible with M28876 and comparable military-style connectors.
Unlike other M29504/14 & /15 designs, AFSI’s product is precision-engineered, allowing the ferrule to press fit and bottom out within the terminus bodies. This strict tolerance management eliminates loose fit or epoxy construction and yields better overall performance under stressful environmental conditions.
The M29504/15 features a ceramic alignment sleeve, maximizing its ability to hold extremely tight dimensional tolerances while maintaining accurate concentricity, providing superior mechanical and optical performance.
Tech Optics offers a complete line of termini insertion, extraction and polishing tools, which are compatible with NAVSEA specifications. These tools can be used with AFSI M29504/14 & /15 termini or other manufacturers’ M29504/14 & /15 termini. Tools include termini extraction, termini insertion, alignment sleeve extraction, alignment sleeve insertion and single position polishing puck.Features
- Pre-radius zirconia ferrule tip provides optimal insertion loss performance
- Laser marked TICC codes eliminate the need to decipher complex color code bands
- Precision ferrule alignment with captivated split zirconia sleeves
- Wide configuration selection
- Superior optical performance
- Custom sizes available. Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) only
- Integrated environmental seal on each terminus
- Precision “press fit” terminus design
- Each terminus individually packaged and labeled for ease of identification, storage and use
- Supports both multimode and single mode fiber
- Expanded beam technology is less susceptible to dust and debris
- Monolithic insert design facilitates cleaning
- Hermaphroditic design enables daisy-chaining of cable assemblies to support varying distances
- Non-contacting interface allows thousands of mating cycles
- MIL-PRF-29504B QPL listed
- Ferrules: zirconia ceramic
- Termini bodies: stainless steel, passivated
- Retention clips: beryllium copper
- Alignment sleeves: ceramic core
- Alignment sleeve hood: beryllium copper
- O-ring seal: fluorosilicone
Description Measurement/Detail Back Reflection <-40 dB – PC polish, <-55 dB – enhanced PC polish Insertion Loss 0.45dB typical (measured with 62.5/125mm fibre @1310nm) Operating Temperature -65°C to +150°C (dependent on epoxy and cable) Temperature Cycling -62°C to +70°C per MIL-STD-1344, Method 1003C Temperature Shock -54°C to +65°C per MIL-STD-1344, Method 1003 Temperature Life +110°C for 240 hours Vibration MIL-STD-1344, Method 2005, Condition II & VI Mechanical Shock MIL-STD-901C, Grade A Mating Durability 500 cycles per EIA-455-21 Pressure Sealing (wiper seal) 2,000 psi Terminus Mating Force 5 lb [22.2 N] nominal Terminus Retention Force 22 lb [97.9 N] Cable Retention Force 25 lb [111.2 N] (dependent on cable construction) Weight 1.0 grams, max Ozone Exposure MIL-STD-1344, 1007 Impact MIL-STD-1344, Method 2015
The Amphenol Fiber Systems International (AFSI) design of the M29A1350 and M29B1350 APC termini are based on qualified M29504 /14 and /15 termini. These termini are designed exclusively for use in the APC28876 low back reflection, multi-channel count connector series. The connectors and termini, based on the military qualified M28876 connector, are designed for use in harsh environment applications.
The precision alignment key and angled polish combine to produce the lowest back reflection offered in any multi-channel connector on the market today. Ideal for use with single mode high optical power, RF-over-fibre, LIDAR or any back reflection sensitive application.
Built in accordance with MIL-PRF-29504/16, the MTFP termini feature an innovative double-floating seal design that allows maximum terminus travel with minimum side forces transferred to the terminus. This design ensures maximum optical isolation and terminus sealing under the harshest conditions. For use in AFSI TFOCA-II® connectors and other TFOCA connectors built in accordance with MIL-PRF-/16 & /17.
The FSAF series fibre optic termini provide superior optical and mechanical performance and are compatible with Amphenol Fiber Systems International’s (AFSI) TFOCA-III® and THD connectors. The front release stainless steel design utilizes a 1.25mm ferrule allowing the technician to use a standard LC polishing puck and termination procedure.